Mike & Patt Staley

LIFE IN LWR

Mike & Patt Staley

1981

Michigan was going through a major recession and jobs were beginning to dry up.

An opportunity with Aramco Oil Company in Dhahran, Saudi Arabia, opened and we accepted it.  We kept our Michigan home until 1986 when we decided that Michigan was not in our future. We began looking at other states, warm ones.

After 2 years (1988) we came to Sarasota and purchased a Patio Home in The Meadows. This worked for us since we had 3 small kids at the time and the home was perfect for our family and vacations.  We had a Property Manager that covered all our needs.

1991 came and so did the Gulf war.  We evacuated, returned to The Meadows wondering if we would be going back to Arabia.  Fortunately, the war didn’t last terribly long but during our stay we purchased a Fly-buy home right next to the Country Club in The Meadows.  It was a perfect place for company or overflow.

Around 1993 we could see that the Patio Home had served its purpose.  The kids were not small anymore so the search was on. On one vacation in 1996 I saw an ad about a place called Lakewood Ranch.  It was offering a new concept of living, working and playing in one place AND it had a picture of a house with a porch! This house was one of their models.  I loved the idea and drove to see it since it was just north of the Meadows. Unfortunately, the LWR Blvd. was not complete so I had to drive up to SR70 to find the entrance.  As soon as I walked into the place, I could feel the roots coming out of my shoes and adhering to the floor. This was close to our departure so I took all the information and tucked it into my suitcase.  It would have to wait until our return in 1997.

August of 1997, we returned to the Meadows for our vacation.  As soon as all were settled, I drove back to LWR to see if the Model was sold. It was still available.  During the vacation I drove my husband to see the house. He thought it was too far out and we had been trying to discover all of what Sarasota had to offer.  He didn’t think it would really develop like I thought it would. Again, I tucked the information in my suitcase but…. kept thinking about “that house”. We were also checking out lots of other places that were in LWR but all off University Drive.  And so, we again returned to Arabia.

August of 1998, we returned to The Meadows and were looking in earnest. Unfortunately, I found fault with almost every house we saw. The LWR house was the one - end of story.  Back to Arabia. Husband was wearing down. We put our Patio Home up for sale and the first person who looked at it bought it. That was easy!

November of 1998, we had 2 vacations that year.  Decided that “if” the LWR house was available….... We would go for it.

Called the builder and asked if it was still for sale.  He asked if we had a realtor, I said “No” and he said “Yes” it was still for sale. We made arrangements to meet as soon as possible after we landed.  Our only stipulation was that all paperwork had to be done by December 24th.

We landed early December, met with the builder, he had a few stipulations that worked well for both of us and we began the process.  Our closing was 12/24/98.
We so appreciated that all the paperwork was completed so we brought in boxes of chocolates and champagne for all involved.  We walked out with the keys to our new home and a contract with the builder’s Property Manager to care for our new home until we moved back to the States.

Returned to LWR the following August (1999) to our new home.  Our kids were either working or in college so we stayed in the Fly-By in the Meadows and used that time to prepare for our final return.  Retired from Aramco and moved into our new home in September 2000. 

The LRW Blvd. connection was open to south LWR and the progress has never stopped.

After 2 years of retirement it seemed there was more to living in LWR than just playing all the time.  I applied for a part-time job at the (first) Information Center. I worked Tues/Wed./Thurs. and loved every minute of it.  I was at the front desk so I met all the new residents and helped them with directions and any information I could that would make their transition easier.  

One of my fondest memories with a new resident was meeting Dick Vitale. I told him that he was my husbands greatest basketball hero and he used to watch him when Dick was at U of D. Dick took me by the arm, walked me out to his car, lifted the trunk, grabbed a book, whipped out his pen and signed it to “Mike”, my husband.  What a guy!

We moved from the original building near SR70 to the currant Town Hall.  I can’t say enough about the crew that I worked with and the people I met being at that front desk. That has to be the best way in the world to meet lots of new neighbors. I miss working there, yes there were stinkers but they were far and few between.

Then our kids began to return home or move out or travel and life got a bit busy so I left the Information Center to regain the title of Mom. This September 1 it will be 20 years living, working, enjoying LWR. So many memories of all the accomplishments this corporation’s leaders have achieved and they are still going strong.

What we are (or were) members of:
Mike has been the SRVA Neighborhood Rep for 17 years
Mike is an original CERT leader and we are both members of CERT
Patt is on the Compliance Committee.
Mike is a MTC Board Member
Veterans Scholarship Committee MTC
Elks - LWR
American Legion, Venice
Support our Troops
MOAS members
Adopted Fire Station #6
St. Patrick’s Catholic Church
We volunteered for 10 years at Benderson park 
   (When it was just a gravel pit hole and dirt.)  

Fund Raisers. For SOT
Camel Races
Kentucky Derby
Election Party
Polo Gatherings
Christmas Eve parties for over 12 years 

Wonderful friends that have come and gone from LWR.































2016 Kentucky Derby















No comments:

Post a Comment

Photos          photoslwr.blogspot.com Birds Lakewood Ranch      birdslwr.blogspot.com Big Photos      bigphotoslwr.blogspot.com News Lak...